East Coast Megatsunami

If you’ve watched a disaster movie before, you may have seen the megatsunami before- a monstrous mass of water that barrels into the land, wiping out everything in its path. These megatsunamis do exist in real life, and they are mainly generated by asteroid impacts.

However, the chance that the US, Canada, and other nations in North and South America could get swamped by one of these things is very likely.

Let’s take a look at Cumbre Vieja- a highly volcanic island in the Canary Islands. It has an extremely unstable flank, and an eruption could cause the whole flank to collapse into the Atlantic Ocean.

The collapse would generate a kilometer-tall wave initially, then it would spread out. It would reach some coastal European nations, such as the UK, Portugal, and Spain. There, the tsunami would be 30-40 feet tall.

However, as well as going north, the tsunami would head west. Once it reached the east coast of nations like the US, Canada, and Brazil, the waves would be 150-180 feet tall. The wall of water would slam into cities like Boston, Miami, and New York, cause severe damage in those coastal cities, and go many miles inland. Since America has had such “good” leadership from presidents like Bush and Obama, we would probably not be able to fully recover from this, and some areas on the eastern seaboard may simply be abandoned.

Thank you for reading my post, and if you read my previous one, I apologize if it seems a bit morbid again. Next time, I’ll try to write about something else than a disaster.