Challenge Week 2: My Favorite Place in Austin

A light breeze blows. The deep blue sky is dotted with puffy white clouds that look like cotton balls. Light radiates off the verdant green grass. This picturesque paradise is Zilker Park, one of my favorite places to go to in Austin, Texas.

For one thing, the fields in Zilker Park have some of the most lush grasses I’ve ever seen. They’re extremely soft, and perfect for running through or playing a game of soccer. Sometimes, in the early-mid morning, you can see tiny droplets of dew clinging to those green blades, with the light radiantly reflecting off the water drops. When you sprint through them, wearing shoes or not, you can feel the cool dew soak your feet and lower legs, which is one of the most refreshing things I’ve ever felt.

When the Texas heat turns you into a walking popsicle and your internal organs feel like they will get charred like they’re on a rotisserie, Barton Springs Pool is the best place to just dive in and start splashing around. The water is perfectly clear and a great shade of greenish-blue, and it’s extremely cold–but isn’t that what you want when the weather is scorching? Also, another cool thing about Barton Springs Pool is that beneath all those rocks, there’s a special type of exotic blind salamander that only lives here.

Finally, the surrounding trails and Lady Bird(or Town) Lake are an excellent to go jogging and get some exercise, or just walking around and enjoying the scenery. One of my favorite things to do there is to walk to this spot on the shore of the lake, where there are plenty of boulders to sit on. There, you can admire the blue waters and the tiny microcosm of an ecosystem. Usually, you can see some turtles and lots of fish, both tiny or huge. Alternatively, you can continue walking along the trail, enjoying the plants that are busy photosynthesizing and the company of other people. Finally, if you complete one full circle, I suggest you stand on the large bridge over the lake, near the parking areas. There, you can let the forceful yet gentle(and let’s not forget cool) breeze cool you down, while you take in a deep breath and forget all the troubles of the world or the noisiness of the city.

All in all, if you come to Austin, Texas, you must visit Zilker Park. You can enjoy doing plenty of different activities, go swimming in the Barton Springs Pool, and visit a lot of other close-by areas like the Zilker Botanical Gardens, and many other nearby places (there’s a lot, so I’m not going to mention every single one). So, please, visit Zilker Park if you ever come here!